Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Honoring Mom

May 8 this year is Mother's Day, a day we all must make certain our Mothers feel very special, well, because they are.  

My Mom in particular has put up with me for over 3 decades now and continues to be my biggest fan on earth (and the most loyal follower of this blog for 6 years!).  Don't know how she did it, but she showed me how fun it was to write before I could even ride a bike.   Thanks Mom, my favorite place to write is still at the table...

Cheers to all the Moms out there following the TexaCali Wine Trail for all these years too.   Please hunt down and try something new this weekend  - just maybe a few oldies but goodies too that are listed below: 

Whites
 
Bollinger "Special Cuvee" Brut Champagne - this beauty was a welcomed palate-cleanser during my jam-packed week in Bordeaux.  I'll drink it anytime offered a glass (or bottle).  I love the layers of bold flavors and hints of fresh baked apple pie.  A perfect way to toast with MOM and to her! http://www.champagne-bollinger.com/

2009 GRUNER by Etz Kamptal  - Gruner Veltliner - this comes in a big 1 liter bottle for a reason  - open it early and wake up your taste buds out on the patio with others! Always bright, crisp, and very refreshing, with surprising bold fruit and mineral layers on the backside. I've taken this to many family gatherings and is always a big hit - and never lasts too long.  www.winemonger.com 

2009 Davis Family Vineyards "Cuvee Luke" - a newer blend by Guy - Rhone style white-varietals that screams for a 2nd pour. We sipped this last Sunday night before digging into a night of Riesling, perfect. Aromas of nectarine, apricot, white peach, with floral notes and mineral character. Medium-bodied and elegant with a clean, dry finish - what's not to love?! I've stocked my fridge already. www.davisfamilyvineyards.com

2008 Olivet Lane Estate Chardonnay - always a well balanced Chardonnay from the famous Olivet Lane vineyard planted about the time my Mom gave birth to me.   This wine is consistently great each vintage & always creates a smile.  www.pellegrinisonoma.com

Rosé 

2010 Tramonto Rose of Pinot Noir - buy 3 at once- your Mother's Day will be complete with this vibrant PINK wine.  Also on Tap at Whole Foods downtown Austin. www.brackmountainwine.com

2010 Domaine Begude Pinot Noir Vin de Pays d'Oc Rose - just loved meeting these incredibly passionate guys while in Limoux!  Such a cool place, I almost threw my passport down the water-well and stayed forever.  "This elegant and crisp Pinot Rosé hails from Domaine Begude, a small family owned property located high in the foothills of the Pyrenees in the Limoux region of the Languedoc". Magical place and magical wines.  Found at www.klwines.com in the US.

Reds

2009 Bench "Sonoma Coast" AND "Russian River: Pinot Noir:  whichever one you find - grab it quick. These beautiful pinot's are on Tap all over Texas now and NorCal too.   The bottles can be found at your favorite fine wine shop too, though Whole Foods Austin has the motherload.  A spectacular Pinot Noir!  www.brackmountainwine.com

2009 Pierre et Catherine Breton "La Dilettante" Cab Franc: Had this recently and went down so fast I had to ask what the name was the next day,  DELICIOUS! "A husband-and-wife operation in the Loire Vallrey, the Breton's built their reputation on making pure Cabernet Francs from Bourgueil and Chinon using Biodynamic viticulture and vinification." www.domainbreton.com

2008 Chateau de Montfaucon "Baron Louis" Cotes de Rhone- one of my favorite visits while in the Rhone last month. I love their Blancs but this one has always stood out to me as a great value.   The 2008 is a blend of 40% Grenache, 15% Syrah, 15% Cinsault and 10% each of Carignan, Mourvèdre and Counoise. http://www.chateaumontfaucon.com

2007 Demuth Kemos Bei Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon: I tasted this a few weeks ago, "mindblowing" is what hit me after the first crazy good sip.  This vineyard is barely on land - 3.9 miles from the Pacific Ocean which is crazy to think for Cabernet to ripen...can't wait to go check it out in person! www.demuthkemos.com


Please copy, paste, print this list of course.   Happy Mother's Day Mom!  - Ali

No comments: