Thursday, October 08, 2009

Hunting Season


Another early morning for TexaCali Ali. Off to work with Ana Lopez of Gramona in Houston over the next 48 hours then talk Ginjo Sake at Houston's newest and most hip wine bar and boutique retail shop. I don't know why I'm up so early, it's a ponytail day, no need for the hour of washing and blowing-out the hair today - the weather channel tells me the humidity is 84% and already 82 degrees at 5am. "It will feel like 103 today folks", BLAH.

What's coming out of the woods this season? It's been a interesting year so far, the ridiculous & unreasonable humans have far outweighed the sane
and happy humans in month 10 of 2009. This week I've had the living daylight knocked out of my spirit, the joy of what I am so blessed to do each day sucked away like the strength of an airplane door opening in mid-flight.

What a difference a few days make, last Thursday I was humbly honored to hear unsolicited praises and encouragement from one of the most important humans in the Texas wine business. He concluded his kind words by calling me an old-s
oul, I'll take that, I've lived through a few more lifetimes than anyone could ever know. From the West Coast of California to the eastern hills of Spain, I thank God for the gray-haired wine warriors who 1) have taken notice of this new girl in town with the utmost respect 2) have set a fine example of how to treat others and run their business. Their time & support given to me over the last few year is priceless. I've learned so much from them and continue to thrive on their enthusiasm and inspiration. My eyes are on the staffs of the wisest shepherds who've invited me to join their flock. The wolves in sheep's clothing will always lurk from afar.

After a dinner-less evening, I fell into bed last night with tears of fear, anger and exhaustion in my eyes. I'm on meeting 40-something by 11am today for the month and mile 1500. You know what though? I'm in it to win it, TexaCali Wine Co. is my life, it's my family's future and this wine-loving girl is Catching a Ride on a Smile today. The wine-making families I am so honored to represent here in Texas are counting on me...one day at a time. Cheers - Ali

1 comment:

Alfonso Cevola said...

Thanks for the post and the link love, Ali! Take a window seat and let's take off!