Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cookin' up some love!

Maypearl, Texas: Meet my Papa and Grandmother Jackson, these long-time love birds were always cookin' in the kitchen together for each other & guests.  Almost all of my memories of them revolve around sitting at their big oak table in the kitchen or standing in front of the wall-mounted gas furnace watching them cook.  Sipping on "sweet-tea" (the only place I was allowed to drink it) and snacking on whatever was put in front of me was always so fun as a kid.  I can almost smell the classic enchiladas Grandmother made, and my favorite Papa meal was his big country breakfast of fluffy hot biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs from the farm, bacon and fresh orange juice.  "My Three Sons", "Gilligan's Island" and "I Dream of Jeannie"  buzzing in the background from the TV-tube located in the front room of the house.  No matter how many folks were there to eat with us, they made sure everyone was served before they sat down beside one another. 

My Papa was a jokester and my Grandmother had the prettiest smile and was the most clever woman I've ever known. They were in love - they bickered, they laughed, the told stories non-stop and boy did they create some delicious meals over the years.   I sure would love to have them around with me these days, to share some blessings life has tossed my way.   

Cheers to cookin' in the kitchen with your love this Valentines Day.  And don't forget to chill the Champagne!!  - Ali

No comments: