Saturday, January 12, 2008

Off Subject - UPDATE


GREG LONG TAKES MAVERICKS!! OH YEAH!! At least I know how to pick'em!

"When it was all over, the judges awarded first place to Greg Long, 24, of San Clemente, largely on the basis of one superb ride on which he and his 9 1/2 foot long blue board seemed to descend nearly straight down the face of a gigantic wave.

"When I was paddling out, I told myself I'm going to sit and wait for the biggest set," Long said. "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen."

For an instant, Long said, he believed he was out of position for the big wave. He stood up on his tip toes, leaned back and caught the wave just under the lip.

"I was just about weightless," he said. "I said, 'I'm either going down hard or I'm going to get a good one.' Luckily it was the latter."

While Long and his fellow five finalists were waiting in the not so pacific ocean for their final rides, they all agreed to split evenly the total prize pool of $70,000. Under that deal, each rider gets $11,700." - San Francisco Chronicle

No comments: