Saturday, February 18, 2012

National Drink Wine Day, well alrighty then!

Drink what you like.  It's that simple.  I can remember a few ah-ha moments back in the mid-90's that had me checking back labels for certain importers and front labels for certain regions all the sudden while shopping for new wines -  I liked.  It happens.  Suddenly my palate changed from big bold Bordeaux style wines into more elegant and feminine wines from Burgundy and California's Sonoma County.  Though I still enjoy the occasional glass of very well made Cabernet Sauvignon, I branched out years ago due to an open mind and crazy curiosity to learn more about wine and wine regions. 

Sometime in 2002 or 2003 I was giving a bottle of 1997 Williams Seylem Hirsch Vineyard Pinot Noir by my dear friends Jason and Liane LaBarba from Dallas.  This bottle blew my mind and pretty much kick-started my passion for Sonoma County Pinot Noir.  Fast forward 12 years later and I was representing one of the greatest family producers in Burgundy http://www.demontille.com/family.html.  A thrilling ride through the wine supply chain indeed - full of ah-ha moments. 

So my point is...drink what you like and drink what you don't know so much about - it just might change your life. It happened to me.  

Cheers to National Drink Wine Day - Ali

No comments: