Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The State of the Hustle





No truer words written in regards to creating a life in the wine business.  So many folks have asked me over the years "so how'd you get into the wine industry?",  I've always replied "I just did it, wine was a big hobby for me and I made the jump one day guessing the wine business needed passionate marketing and sales people".  And the rest has been history in the making...with one helluva hustle attached.

Last weekend I volunteered in Dallas for the 10th Anniversary of Texsom and am still floating from all the awesome people surrounding me.  I thought a lot about leadership in this industry while working Texsom behind the scenes this year.  The leadership qualities I noticed were abundant not only by the executive teams and captains, but also by the entire Texsom community.  I saw many leaders who are also great teachers, many leaders who listened and gracefully solved issues, but the leaders who stood out the most had the hustle!

The younger set of leaders among the Texsom community are smarter than ever before and more grounded than I ever imagined. These Young Guns are incredibly passionate not only about their own personal well-being in the community but deliberately passionate about giving and sharing their knowledge of wine to anyone that crosses their paths. They work hard, the study hard and they have the hustle it takes to turn them into real leaders among our spectacular wine community. Refreshing and welcomed.

As I've now entered into a "veteran" slot within the wine buiness, I'm thankful for so many people and places that have inspired me over the last decade.  But I'm most grateful for the gift of the hustle.  Thank you Texsom 2014 for putting another gust of wind in the TexaCali Sail!

See ya around - TexaCali Ali

No comments: