Friday, June 03, 2011

Wine of the Week

Whew. one more day for me before I can take a break from a jam-packed week of work and projects.  The last few nights a chilled glass of Michel-Schlumberger 2010 La Bise Pinot Blanc has been a welcome and tasty light at the end of the daily tunnel.  

I had the pleasure of visiting the winery a few weeks ago (they were the star feature on Wine.Woot! for National Chardonnay Day on May 26) to pick up samples for a photo shoot.  If it weren't for the total sell-out on Woot! that day, their gorgeous Lu Brume Chardonnay might have beat out their new La Bise Pinot Blanc as my best friend this week. Maybe.

I've said it a thousand times over the years, I am a closet Pinot Blanc junkie.  When I get my hands on a good one, I just can't seem to open much else until the stash is depleted.  I've paired the Schlumberger Pinot Blanc with simple meals this week of king salmon, sweet potato fries, turkey burgers and veggie risotto.

Notes from the winemaker (I love their clever tasting notes):

Poor Blanc, her cousin Noir continues to make headlines while Blanc consistently works hard every day and raises a family every year…all this without the glory and fame of Noir’s life. Don’t worry Blanc, we at Michel-Schlumberger are here for you.

2010 allowed us to craft another vintage of Pinot Blanc that again showcases the dynamic nature of people, product and place. Fermented in stainless steel at a cool average temperature of 44 degrees Fahrenheit, the nose is delicate yet complex with hints of starfruit and light jasmine while the palate is as consistent as you’ve come to expect from Michel-Schlumberger Pinot Blanc. A distinct place with distinctive wines…this Pinot Blanc is no exception. Best enjoyed with croissants in a hot air balloon. Cheers!

Winemaker/Vineyard Manager ~ Mike Brunson 

Off to the Anderson Valley tomorrow to visit Handley Cellars and discover some new bottles.   Cheers - Ali

No comments: